Placentophagia is the process of a new mother consuming her cooked placenta postpartum in the form of a capsule, tincture, or smoothie. Many studies and research are available on this topic per your request.
Placentophagia has been shown to:
- Decrease the risk of postpartum depression
- Replenish iron from blood loss during labor
- Replenish energy and B-vitamins that are lost during labor
- Lend a consistent flow of oxytocin after the “birth euphoria” has declined
- Help to establish a healthy milk supply due to Human Placental lactogen hormones
- Assist in stabilizing the new mother’s ever-changing hormones
- Decrease the risk of infection and bleeding due to retained placental tissue or membranes.
- Natural Pain Relief from the labor and delivery of the baby
- During pregnancy the mother received hormones from the placenta. These hormones drop dramatically once the placenta is birthed after the baby.
What does the placenta contain?
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XII
- Prolactin/Human placental lactogen (HPL)
Dr. Ronzo is a certified placenta encapsulation specialist by the International Placenta and Postpartum Association, IPPA. She also is certified by Stericycle for Blood Borne Pathogens and ServSafe food handlers in New York State and Connecticut. If you have any concerns or would like more research on placentophagia please do not hesitate to ask.
The average one placenta can make 100 to 200 capsules. Each placenta encapsulation service includes:
- A placenta print, if desired
- One prenatal appointment
- One postnatal appointment
- Phone support during process
- Delivery of ordered product(s) *Shipping and Handling may be included depending on location
Ronzo Naturopathic, INC will do their best to accommodate any last minute decisions to encapsulate!
Credit: International Placenta and Postpartum Association (IPPA)